Global Holcim Awards 2009
Gold: River remediation and urban development scheme, Fez, Morocco
River remediation and urban development scheme (Fez, Morocco) is a multi-sited, multi-functional project that is centered upon the recovery of a river. Work on restoring it triggers a range of interventions in the Medina. Core components are the rehabilitation of the old city’s architecture, revitalizing public spaces and traditional tanneries, and creating new pedestrian zones.
Download an excerpt of the Global Holcim Awards jury report
read jury appraisal (PDF, 19 KB)Global Holcim Awards jury (from right):
Charles Correa (Head, India), Hans-Rudolf Schalcher (Switzerland), Saskia Sassen (USA), Peter Head (UK), Rolf Soiron (Switzerland); not pictured: Enrique Norten (Mexico/USA).
Full list of project team membersProject Coordinators
Takako Tajima, Urban Designer, Bureau E.A.S.T., Los Angeles, California, USA
- Aziza Chaouni, Architect, Bureau E.A.S.T., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Reem Alissa, Landscape Architect, Ph.D candidate, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, USA
- Dan Brunn, Architect, DBA, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Marco Cenzatti, Industrial Districts Expert, Lecturer in Urban Planning at the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Nicko Elliott, Designer, Bureau E.A.S.T., Fez, Morocco
- Hester Ezra, Co-Founder and Creative Director, Butterfly Works, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- John Ferri, Architect and Builder, RADCORP, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Vesna Kann, Designer, Bureau E.A.S.T., Fez, Morocco
- Bonnie Kaplan, Restoration Specialist and Engineer, Medina Solutions, Fez, Morocco
- Dennis Rijkhoff, Designer, Bureau E.A.S.T., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Alex Toshkov, Historian, Ph.D candidate, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
- Marieke van den Heuvel, Design Researcher and Project Manager, Butterfly Works, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Faiza Zemmouri, Economist, Faiza Zemmouri Consulting, Fez, Morocco
River remediation and urban development scheme, Fez, Morocco
The images shown below can be downloaded in high-resolution format by clicking on the link next to the camera icon below an image. Copyright is held by either the project author or the Holcim Foundation.
Images may be used for media or academic purposes and must include a photo credit: “Photos courtesy Holcim Foundation”. Please send a scanned copy or URL link of any media use of the images. For further enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos of the Global Holcim Awards Gold prize hand-over, Fez, Morocco - July 16, 2009